What Is Craft?

Bosang Umbrella Festival
January 31, 2017
Craft Nomad Episode 3
February 8, 2017

What Is Craft?

This is a post I wrote a while back, but it expresses my ideas and attitudes about craft quite well. It also poses some questions that are still relevant. I’ve started a local fiber arts meet up group and would love to have  reader response to this. Please post in the comments for all to see. If you want to contact me personally, there is a contact form on the contact page.

What Is Craft

I want to consider the value of craft, whether it is a native craft that offers subsistence living to individuals, small groups, or something that is viewed more as an art form. What’s the difference? That’s an age old question; one that is never completely answered and one that we all have a say in.

So, consider my view, share your own, and comment on other comments. To get things started, I want to talk about the craft groups, how they work, and what the 21st century craft group is developing into. Do you belong to a craft group? What kind of craft is it? What kind of group is it? How do you met? What is your purpose?

Joy Harmon
Joy Harmon
A crafter, a traveler, and a scribbler

6 Comments

1. Nancie says:

I’m not much of a crafter, but I like exploring traditional crafts when I travel. I recently attended a craft workshop in Seoul that was interesting and fun. Thanks for linking up this week. #TPThursday

• Joy Harmon says:

Thanks for inviting me to #TPThursday. I love sharing my pictures. I think a lot of people are like you; they enjoy a day of crafting, but are not into any long term projects. I’m the same way about things like weaving and spinning. I love the craft, but don’t see myself doing it. I think you’ll like the next post about the textile museum. I just finished writing and I’m ready to post, but thought I should answer a couple of comments first. It’s nice to see a few more people looking.

2. budgettraveltalk says:

I don’t belong to a craft group but would consider joining one if I wanted to learn something new.

• Joy Harmon says:

I understand. Crafting is not for everybody. I think you will like my next post. It’s about a trip to a textile museum and a hill tribe textile festival. Watch for it. It should be up by tomorrow evening.

3. Ruth says:

I enjoy visiting artisan studios when I travel. For example, in Oaxaca, I visited people who make textiles, pottery and wood carvings. These visits taught me about the ability and patience of the people who are experts on their fields. Some works can take months to complete. #TPThursday

• Joy Harmon says:

Thanks for that input, Ruth. I have heard so much about the craft people in Mexico. I wonder how many different craft studios and villages there are in Mexico and how long it would take to visit them all. Maybe one day I will be able to make an extended trip there to find out.